Your garage door’s springs are one of its most critical components — and among the most dangerous to work on. Springs are under high tension and, if not handled properly, they can break and potentially lead to injury. Springs can also wear out over time, and they can snap in unpredictable ways.
For these reasons alone, service to your garage door’s springs should only be performed by a qualified professional. TF Draper provides garage door spring inspections for both residential and commercial customers throughout the Pacific Northwest. Give us a call if you suspect a problem or if your garage door is due for routine service.
Garage door spring service requires multiple steps, including:
- Inspection: A visual inspection can reveal a lot about the condition of your springs. Our technicians will look for signs of wear and corrosion that may indicate when replacement is necessary. They will also check for loose cables and connections, and other potential issues.
- Adjustment: If a spring is still in good condition and doesn’t require replacement, slight adjustments can improve its overall performance and extend its life. Components such as the unit’s torsion shaft, center brackets, bushings and other hardware may require tightening, filing or other minor service to promote the free movement of the springs.
- Lubrication: Lubrication is essential on any moving part. This is true of your garage door’s springs, which require protection against rust and wear to operate properly. We will also lubricate components such as tracks, bearings, shaft rollers and wheels at this time.
- Testing: After completing service, your garage door will have its opener reattached. We will then open and close the door several times, which allows us to confirm that it is working properly and will also help disperse the lubricant on the springs for more even coverage.
Our technicians can perform all of the above as part of your annual or semi-annual preventative maintenance service. Preventative maintenance is the best way to keep your garage door working its best and extend its life. Regular inspections and check-ups also reduce the risk of a sudden failure which can potentially damage your property, costing you money and putting individuals nearby at risk.
Warning Signs to Watch out For
Given the danger of a spring failure, it’s important to know the signs that service is necessary. Contact TF Draper to arrange a garage door spring inspection if:
- Your garage door is no longer opening and closing smoothly, or is catching on its way up or down
- You hear a loud bang or other unexpected noise at any time
- Your garage door won’t rise more than 6” off the ground
- You notice gaps or other obvious damage to your springs
- You haven’t had your springs inspected in over a year or have just moved into a new home
The above issues can have multiple causes. The only way to diagnose the problem and fix it for good is to contact an experienced repair technician who can safely perform the appropriate tests.
Get in Touch With the Pros at TF Draper
TF Draper is qualified to perform residential and commercial garage door spring inspections, maintenance and lubrication for customers in Portland, Forest Grove, Lake Oswego, West Linn and beyond. We are an authorized dealer of Clopay®, Amarr, Northwest Door and Wayne-Dalton products, and we are fully qualified to service any residential or commercial garage door by these and other manufacturers.
Don’t take a risk when it comes to your garage door springs. Contact TF Draper to arrange a complete tune-up and inspection for your property. Call or email our office to speak with a representative and book a service call at your convenience.