How to Add Value to Your Home
When you tackle both large and small home improvement projects around your house, you can improve the value and increase the sale price for your home (even if you don’t intend on selling in the near future), show neighbors and potential buyers the home is cared for, achieve better functionality and have improved comfort and convenience you can enjoy daily.
If you’re looking to increase property value for your Portland home, consider these five upgrades that add significant value:
- Updated Kitchens and Bathrooms: Modern appliances and fixtures, clean finishes and functional layouts
- New Flooring: Add either engineered or real-wood flooring throughout
- Better Insulation: Particularly in attics to improve energy efficiency
- Exterior Makeovers: Clean, well-designed landscaping installations, new siding or modern front doors are all profitable projects
- Garage Door Replacement: Replace your standard metal sectional door with a functional and attractive modern option
How Much Value Does a New Garage Door Add?
Attached garage doors can occupy up to 40 percent of your home’s exterior, and the style and materials of your garage can either detract from the exterior quality of your home or enhance and modernize your home’s architecture. With the variety of materials and designs available today — from contemporary to classic — you can find a new door that is welcoming, improves functionality and stands out amongst other homes in your neighborhood.
Average garage door replacements range in costs from $500 to $800, but can exceed $2,000 depending on the size, materials and designs you choose — although door updates should equal about one percent of your home’s overall value. While for some this price may seem a bit steep, garage door updates have one of the highest returns on investment for any home improvement upgrade — fetching an average of 85 percent or more.
How Garage Doors Add Value to Your Home
Garage door replacement seems like a simple update, so why can door upgrades add such a significant return on investment? Garage doors add the following benefits which increase your home’s value:
- Striking Curb Appeal: Choosing a warm wood door that enhances the appearance of your craftsman or classic home, or a bold metal and glass door with enticing colors for contemporary homes, can make an inviting, welcoming statement that enhances your home’s existing architectural style.
- Improved Energy Efficiency: Many garage doors crafted using superior materials or added insulation upgrades can greatly improve your home’s energy efficiency and lower overall annual heating and cooling costs. When shopping for a new door, look for options with an R-value of at least an 11 for the best efficiency outcomes.
- Better Security and Safety: Garage doors and openers manufactured today feature the latest improvements to improve safety and security efforts. Better photo-eye sensors, rolling door codes and other advanced capabilities improve safe functionality and prevent intruders from accessing your home through the garage.
Add Home Value With The TF Draper Company
If you’re a homeowner located in the Greater Portland area and you’re looking for high-quality, attractive and durable garage door replacements to add value to your home, look no further than the selection and expertise offered at The TF Draper Company. Our team has nearly 40 years of local experience working with homeowners throughout Oregon and parts of Washington, and we offer the widest selection of high-quality, beautiful Clopay® garage doors available in modern and traditional styles to improve the look and functionality of your home.
Peruse our large selection of customizable doors today or call us at 503-357-1103 to learn more. To request a free project estimate, complete our online contact form.
Difference Between Faux Wood and Other Garage Door Materials
With so many garage door designs and materials available for garage door replacements, how can homeowners choose which type is most practical for their needs, and is also convenient and attractive? Today, you can choose from a variety of materials including steel, aluminum, glass, fiberglass, solid wood and faux wood. Of these materials, faux wood, or “wood look” garage doors, offer the perfect blend of beauty, cost-effectiveness, durability and design options.
What Are Faux Wood Garage Doors?
Faux wood garage doors offer the warmth and appeal of a solid wood door with the durability and affordability of alternative garage door materials. A wood look garage door is typically crafted from an aluminum, steel or fiberglass interior that’s been finished with an overlay of faux wood or composite — some manufacturers will coat the door with real wood pieces to act as a more convincing wood grain, color and texture.
Benefits of Faux Wood Garage Doors
While wood doors have traditionally been sought after by homeowners for their visual appeal, customization variety and durability, faux wood styles are growing in popularity because they solve several issues regarding traditional wood, like expense and maintenance.
Additional benefits of faux wood garage doors include:
- Low Maintenance: To keep wood doors in pristine condition, homeowners must perform regular maintenance, like staining and painting, to ensure quality and appearances. Faux wood mimics the look of wood without constant maintenance efforts and can be easily cleaned as it becomes dirty.
- Durability and Weather Resistance: Faux wood doors have been tested for lasting quality and dependability and can easily resist common door damage like dings, dents and cracks. With a faux wood door, you also never have to worry about elements causing rot and warping the door — wood look can reliably withstand a variety of climates without fading or becoming damaged.
- Long-Lasting Lifespan: Because of its construction and qualities, faux wood doors can last many more years without upkeep than their wood door counterparts.
- Lightweight Construction: With a faux door, you get the appearance of a wood door without the restrictions — including weight. Faux wood doors won’t require the opener requirements solid wood typically needs and can be easily maneuvered by homeowners.
- Design Options: While wood doors offer a variety of design and material customization options, you can find similar styles and colors with faux wood. Many Clopay® faux wood garage doors are available in an assortment of paint and stain finishes to easily fit your style and the aesthetics of your home.
Reach Out to TF Draper to View Our Selection of Faux Wood Styles
Whether you know which type and style of faux wood garage door best suits your needs and design tastes or you need help choosing a door style that works, rely on the professionals at The TF Draper Company to help you find a quality garage door that you’ll be pleased with for years to come. We exclusively offer a wide selection of Clopay garage doors — the leading residential manufacturer of garage doors — in a variety of styles and materials that will add beauty to your exteriors and offer unmatched durability for many years.
For nearly 40 years, we’ve created trusted and lasting relationships with homeowners throughout the Greater Portland area, helping with all of their garage door needs — including installation, maintenance and repair. We even service commercial garage door models.
Explore our wide selection of Clopay faux wood garage doors today and feel free to call us at 503-357-1103 with any questions you may have. To request services, complete our online scheduling form or request a free estimate.
What to Do If Your Garage Door Won’t Open
Leaving for work this morning, you click the remote to open your garage door and nothing happens. Then you try one more time, but the door still refuses to operate. Most of the time, when your garage door won’t open, the solution is a simple hardware adjustment or part replacement. When your garage door is stuck, note any unusual sounds or odd garage door behavior and inspect the possible causes to prevent any additional damage to your system or potential safety hazards.
How to Fix Garage Doors That Won’t Open
Most garage doors are used multiple times every day as a convenient entry to our homes, so it’s common to experience garage door malfunctions or minor wear and tear. The following are common garage door problems and how you can fix them:
- Malfunctioning Garage Door Opener Remote: When you press the remote or wall-mounted door control and nothing happens, there’s likely a problem with the power or the remote battery — check that there’s no power outage in your neighborhood, that your opener is plugged in, and that the remote battery is fresh. If these issues aren’t the cause, try reprogramming your remote to the opener and check that the machine’s antenna hasn’t been damaged. Otherwise, the garage door opener motor may be damaged and the unit may need replacement.
- Garage Door Not Opening All the Way: If the garage door stops short of opening entirely, then the up-limit switch may need to be adjusted or the rollers are corroded and damaged and need replacement. The up-limit switch is a repair that typically occurs immediately after a new opener has been installed. If the limit isn’t set correctly, it will prompt the door to stop opening too early.
- Opener Motor Runs but Door Stays Closed: If you click your opener remote and the machine runs but the door stays closed, then either your red emergency disconnect switch was enabled — detaching the door from the opener — or the garage door was accidentally locked with the manual locking switch.
- Garage Door Is Stuck or Won’t Open: Garage doors that suddenly won’t open likely have a broken spring. If you’re at home when the torsion or extension spring breaks, you’ll hear a loud “bang” like a firework. With a broken garage door spring system, your opener won’t be able to lift the door and you’ll need to call a professional to inspect the door and perform a spring replacement.
Is Your Garage Door Stuck? Contact The TF Draper Company Today
When your garage door won’t open, contact the skilled and experienced technicians at The TF Draper Company to help you troubleshoot your garage door and quickly identify the issue. We’re a family-owned company with over 40 years of experience working with homeowners throughout the Greater Portland area, specializing in comprehensive garage door repairs and personalized solutions to ensure your garage door operates smoothly and efficiently for years to come.
Schedule garage door repair services today by calling 503-357-1103 to speak to a team member or complete our online contact form to request a free service estimate.
Do I Need an Insulated Garage Door in Portland?
If you’re in the market for a new garage door, you may be wondering if you should consider an insulated door. If you live in Portland, surrounding areas in Oregon or elsewhere in the Pacific Northwest, the answer is often yes.