Is your plain garage door beginning to make your home feel dated or detracting from the curb appeal of your home? While many garage doors are designed to smoothly function for up to 15 years with proper care and maintenance, over time and with wear and constant exposure, your garage door may start to look drab and unattractive.
Even if your door is still opening and closing as instructed, local homeowners should consider updating their garage door to a newer model if the door is nearing the end of its expected lifespan. Some of the many reasons many Portland-area homeowners choose to replace their home’s garage doors include:
- Better durability and security
- Improved energy efficiency
- Smoother operations
- Advanced features for convenience and safety
- Increased overall home value and curb appeal
Signs You Need a New Garage Door
Besides their obvious aesthetic improvements and more modern manufacturing materials for better strength and performance, homeowners should consider installing a new garage door if your current door is near the end of its lifespan or isn’t operating as smoothly as it once did.
You likely use your garage door daily as the main entrance to your home, so you want a fixture that’s both dependable and efficient as well as functional. If you’re hesitant to replace your home’s garage door, consider the following signs that it’s time for a new garage door:
- Slow Movement: If you notice signs of hesitation or slower movement than when the opener was initially installed, then you would likely benefit from a new garage door system.
- Noisy Operations: A properly working garage door will be somewhat noisy while opening and closing, but if you notice excessive sounds like grating, rattling or squeaking, then you probably need repairs and even hardware replacements.
- Poor Appearance: A modern garage door can greatly accentuate the existing architecture of your home and even increase its value if you plan on selling in the near future. Meanwhile, dated, discolored and dented garage doors can detract from the appearance of your home.
- Frequent Repairs: If you’re performing frequent, costly repairs for your garage door, then it may be time to update your system. Consider whether the garage door repairs are exceeding the value of your current door.
- Dated Features: Many modern garage doors and openers feature the latest advancements and safety features to improve functionality. One important safety feature homeowners shouldn’t ignore is if your garage door opener was manufactured before 1993 and lacks photo eye sensors that prevent the door from closing on a person or object. You may also benefit from updated equipment that features Wi-Fi connectivity, rolling door codes and battery backup.
Spruce Up Your Home With a New Garage Door From The TF Draper Company
A new garage door can elevate the look and performance of your home. At The TF Draper Company, we have the largest selection of quality Clopay® garage doors available throughout the Portland area. We invite all local homeowners to visit our expansive showroom, conveniently located in Forest Grove.
We offer a range of modern and traditional designs available in high-quality wood, steel, fiberglass and aluminum. Once you’ve selected an attractive and dependable new garage door, our team of skilled professionals will perform an efficient and effective installation. Most of our residential installations take about three to four hours, and we’ll even help you dispose of your old garage door.
Request a garage door installation estimate today by completing our online contact form or by calling us at 503-357-1103 to schedule an appointment.